Can monies garnished due to a default judgement be recovered if the debt can be proven invalid?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can monies garnished due to a default judgement be recovered if the debt can be proven invalid?

I have a university that has been pursuing me for alleged unpaid tuition. To be allowed to walk in my graduation ceremony, I had to have a zeroed account, yet years later they pursued and won a judgement for $3000. I did not know of judgement as I had moved out of state by the time documents were served. My wages have been garnished. If I have an accountant audit my billing records and find that the money was not owed, can I recover all monies paid, and garnished to the collecting law firm?

Asked on November 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The problem that you are writing about is a big problem for you given that there is a default judgment against you. It means nothing if your accountant in an audit can show that you do not owe the $3,000 default judgment because that there is a judgment against you. The judgment is the existing order of the court against you.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney to see if you can have that default judgment set aside. Usually at most one has at most 6 months to try and set aside a default and default judgment. If you cannot get the judgment set aside, you are stuck with the outcome.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption