Can local sheriff put 30 day hold on my car if it was my son who was arrested while driving it?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can local sheriff put 30 day hold on my car if it was my son who was arrested while driving it?

My son aged 25 was arrested for DUI while driving my car. It was impounded and the sheriff has put a 30 hold on it but it is registered in only my name. I need the car for transportation for work. Is this legal?

Asked on July 27, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most states and even counties have very strict laws when a person is arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance which includes impounding of the vehicle being driven for a certain period of time.

The vehicle impounded is evidence pertaining to the arrest and as evidence it can be impounded essentially for as long it takes to resolve the alleged crime that it was an instrument of. It does not matter in whose name the car is registered in.

Answer: It is legal for law enforcement to have your car impounded as evidence supporting the arrest of your son. You option is to request its release and see what happens.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption