If a husband decides to buy property with his son, can his wife be made responsible for the mortgage debt as well?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a husband decides to buy property with his son, can his wife be made responsible for the mortgage debt as well?

Even though she would sign a quit claim deed, that she has no interest in the property, can they still go after her, in the case if joint tenants don’t make payments. Husband might put large down payment as well but does not want wife to be part of it; wife is stressed out about her responsibility for the debt. They live in a community property state.

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If the property being purchased is not a residence for the son or husband to reside in and subject to the purchase money anti-deficiency statutes in many states, there is the possibility that the community assets of the husband and wife could be responsible for any deficiency in the event that the purchased property is foreclosed upon where the foreclosed price is less than the loan owing on it.

Under community property law, the wife could very well be subject to liabilty for this debt arising during her marriage to the husband in the event of a foreclosure. I suggest that a real estate attorney be consulted with at this time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption