Can my HOA is charging late fees on disputed amounts?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my HOA is charging late fees on disputed amounts?

Further they are charging legal fees for addressing my dispute.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the HOA can charge late fees on disputed amounts. If it turns out you don't owe the money all--that is, you win the dispute in the entirety--you won't have to pay the late fee, either. If the HOA ends up winning in whole or in part--that is, you owed at least some of the amount, and were late in paying it--you'll owe some late fees.

If the HOA agreement or other document(s) governing your residence and relationship with the HOA, including your obligation to pay HOA feees, allows the HOA to recover their legal fees in the event of a dispute, that term is enforceavble and you would have to pay--at least if you lost; generally, you don't need to pay the legal fees if you win, though you need to reference the HOA agreement(s).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption