Can landlord’s daughter evict us even though she is not on the rental agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can landlord’s daughter evict us even though she is not on the rental agreement?

Our landlord’s daughter said she is taking over the property and said we are behind on rent. She doesn’t have receipts to prove it because I asked to see them.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The landlord does not have to do everything him- or herself: he can hire a managing agent, or delegate the work to an employee or family member. So if the landlord is having his daughter manage the property for him or her, then the daughter has the same rights to take action as the landlord would. If you have not paid your rent on time or in full, you can be evicted. If the landlord--or his daughter, acting as his or her employee or agent--believes you are behind on rent, they can filed an eviction action. If you have in fact paid the rent, you will then (in court) have the chance to show your receipts or proof of payment, and if you can prove payment, you can't be evicted. But if you can't prove payment of the rent, you could be evicted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption