can judge set trial date when you do not have legal council

UPDATED: May 20, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can judge set trial date when you do not have legal council

attorney quit durning plea trial because he lied to his client and denied it to the judge. the judge then threatened me by telling me that I will have trial in 2 weeks he then changed that. I was arreated for DUS the court said I could drive to work but the DMV took away my license. I was not informed of this by either the DMV because they had my old address or my attorney, so when I was pulled over they put me in the back of the police car I called my Mom to let her know and they said I was resisting arrest, took me out of the car and threw me on the ground is this legal ? I need help

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Let's focus on the issues.

You have a trial coming up. You have a right to hire a lawyer and (depending on the charges) if you can not afford one the right to have a lawyer appointed to defend you.

Judges know nearly all the tricks of the trade. (Most judges practiced law and tried the same tricks for their clients when they were practicing lawyers, and if not learn them in training courses or saw them in an earlier case or hear of them at lunch from other judges.)

If your conduct is deemed obstructionist -- such as getting into fights with the lawyers representing you or firing lawyers as trial approaches -- the court may decide you have waived the right to counsel and proceed.

When you are convicted, you could add to your appeal that you were denied effective assistance of counsel and the convictions should be overturned. Of course the judge knows the score and likely will put you in jail as the appeal proceeds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption