Can I work as an independent contractor for a company which I own?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I work as an independent contractor for a company which I own?

I plan on starting a business with my brother in the US. My brother is in the US
and is American. I live in Canada and am Canadian.

I am wondering if I will be able to work as an independent contractor for my own
company which I will own 50 of. I will be working remotely from Canada. We are
planning on starting a LLC.


Asked on February 8, 2018 under Business Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may: there is no law against being an independent contractor for a company you work for, manage, co-own, or solely own. Obviously, if your brother is a 50% owner, you will need his concurrence or consent (two 50% owners can stalemate or deadlock each other; they both must agree on business decisions), but so long as he agrees, you may do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption