Can I withhold rent ifmy landlord has not fixinga cockroach infestation?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I withhold rent ifmy landlord has not fixinga cockroach infestation?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The answer is *maybe*--though speak with an attorney and follow his/her advice before doing anything. Every lease has added to it by the law what's known as the "implied warranty of habitability." This is a requirement that the premises be fit for their intended purpose, and conditions that make an apartment or home, for example, not fit to live in--like a severe cockroch infestation--may violate the warranty. If the warranty is violated, the tenant may be able to seek monetary compensation, an order from the court requiring the condition to be corrected, or to break the lease without penalty. Another option is to pay for the tenant to pay for the repair, extermination, etc. him- or herself, then deduct the cost from the rent. This last option can be tricky: you have to give the landlord proper written notice and a  chance to correc the situation; then you can only withhold an amount equal to the cost to repair. You cannot generally withhold the rent to force the landlord to act.

So you do have options, but you want to exercise them correctly; failure to do so can result in you being liable to the landlord instead. That is why you should consult with an attorney before acting. If you can't afford one, try contacting Legal Services. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption