Can I walk away without financial or credit implications if I am not on the loan docs in Colorado?

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I walk away without financial or credit implications if I am not on the loan docs in Colorado?

My ex and I bought a home for me and my young children to live in. He helped because I was a SAHM without income. I am on the title but not on the loan. He is threatening to put the house up for sale since he does not want financial obligation and I cannot refinance in my name as of yet. We obviously need a place to live – Can I walk away and find my family and I a place to rent without financial or credit implications? What are my obligations (if any) if my name is on the title but not the loan?

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There are no credit issues if you are only on he title as that has nothing to do with your obligations under the loan with the bank.  Are you a 1/2 interest owner of the house?  If you are, you should be entitled to 50% of the proceeds.  You can move to another house with your family and not worry about credit issues.  You also want to make sure than you are going to get 50% of the house proceeds.  I would hire a lawyer and explain this to him/her.  Nevertheless, to answer your question, you should not have credit issues here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption