Can I walk away from an upside down home to buy a new one due to medical reason?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I walk away from an upside down home to buy a new one due to medical reason?

I have a 2 story home, all bedrooms upstairs. My parent who’s living with us is not in good health to be going up and down the stairs anymore. We are thinking of buying a one story home or one with bedroom downstairs. It is cheaper to buy than to modify our current home that is upside down which rate will change in 4 years (variable rate).

Asked on January 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Unfortunately the bank or lending institution for your home will not recognize that reason as valid to walk away from the obligation of the mortgage.  In fact,they do not recognize any reason as valid.  You need to either modify and sell or get their permission for a short sale with them waiaving the deficiency - very important.  You can possibly use the medical problems of your parents as a reason to push a short sale because you must have their approval first.  Once the house is sold you can purchase a new one that better fits your needs.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption