Can i use words harley davidson, or thier logo on my web site?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i use words harley davidson, or thier logo on my web site?

I am a pinstriping artist, and display my works on site as advertising for
services. No money exchanges hands on site.

Asked on December 10, 2017 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot. Whether or not money exchanges hands on the site, this would still be a commercial use: you are using the site to advertise or market your services. The owner of a trademark (like the name or logo; it is almost a given that the name and/or logo of a motorcycle manufacturer is trademarked) has total control over how its mark is used in commerce; no one may use it for their own economic benefit or to advertise/market their goods or services without the permission of the trademark owner. Using a trademark without permission leaves you vulnerable to being sued for both monetary compensation and a court order barring you from the infringing use.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption