Can I use my valid B1/B2 visa after getting married to a US citizen outside US

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I use my valid B1/B2 visa after getting married to a US citizen outside US

I am a Pakistani professors. I have a B1/B2 visa valid for two more years B1/B2
visa. I have decide to marry US citizen and prefer him to Pakistan to get
married. I would like to go to US after wedding and apply for wedding based green
My marriage is not for seeking immigration.
My questions is that will it be allowed?

I ll be grateful for you rkind response


Asked on July 7, 2019 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can use it if you do not intend on immigrating but the officer at the port of entry may not know of your true intentions and may presume you to have immigrant intent and may not admit you.  You need to discuss your plans of long term immigration with a professional to understand the issues involved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption