Can I use another companies registered trademark in my advertisement or website if I attribute it properly?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I use another companies registered trademark in my advertisement or website if I attribute it properly?

Or is it absolutely not allowed? I want to do something similar to the Pepsi vs Coke challenge from a few years ago.

Asked on December 24, 2015 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot use their trademark without their permission. You can name them so long as you don't use the actual trademark. Take Google: the Google logo is trademarked, but a competing search engine could say, "we provide more results than Google" so long as they don't use the logo/trademark in their advertising. So you can name your competitor, but don't use any of their registered marks. (And if you do name them, make sure everything you say is provably true, or else you could face liability for false advertising.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption