Can I use a key and go into an office and get my computer back

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I use a key and go into an office and get my computer back

My ex employer has my personal
computer at her business with all my
personal information and photos and I
still have a key to this office can I go
there with my key and take my

Asked on July 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

NO, do not do this. If you no longer work there, you have no right to access the space; if you do enter, you will be committing not just trespassing but potentially burglary, too. To get your computer back legally, sue her for it: you can sue her for the current value of the computer, and settle the case with its return (the easier but less certain way, since in theory she could choose to pay you the computer's value and keep it); or you could sue specifically for a court order requiring the computer's return (more complicated, since small claims court cannot grant orders like this; you'd have to sue in "regular" country court, which is a little more expensive and also more procedurally complicated for a non-lawyer). Only via a lawsuit can you legally obtain your computer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption