Can I travel with a green card that has an expiry date which has been extended?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I travel with a green card that has an expiry date which has been extended?

My green card is due to expire in a couple of days. I have applied for renewal and my biometrics has been done. At the biometrics, the expiry of the card was extended for 6 months. I am settled in the US and live in my own apartment. I have an urgent business in Bangladesh and I need to go there next month. My new green card has not arrived yet. Can I travel with the old green card with extension of date pasted on the back of the card ? How long can I stay outside USA without breaking continuous residence and physical presence in the US?

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You cannot be outside the US for more than 6 months but if you are just traveling on business and will not be gone for too long, it should not be a problem.  If your green card has been extended, then you are fine to travel internationally.  You can also go to the USCIS office and see if they will put a stamp in your passport, indicating that your status has been extended.  Otherwise, I would not worry too much.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption