Can i travel outside of USA when my H1B is in pending state.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i travel outside of USA when my H1B is in pending state.

Hi Sir,

I am on L1B Visa Valid till Sept-9 2016, I have applied for H1B and it’s picked
in lottery but no approval yet.

In this situation can i travel to Mexico for 2-3 days.


Asked on July 27, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can travel but if and when the H-1B is approved, it would be approved for consular processing and not for change of status since you had left the US while the change of status was pending.  If you are ok with that then you can go to Mexico.  if you'd prefer not to have to go abroad for consular processing prior to your H-1B becoming effective, then I would suggest not going anywhere outside the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption