Can I terminate the lease based on inaccurate school information?

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I terminate the lease based on inaccurate school information?

I signed a lease 2 months ago on a rental home based on the advertised school district from the rental property management company. That was my sole purpose of renting this home so my son would not have to change schools as he has been there since first grade. When I went to register my son for school today they said this house was indeed not in the school district and has never been.There is no early termination clause in my contract. What are my options, can I terminate the lease for false advertising?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you signed the lease for the rental that you have based upon inaccurate information about which school district that the unit is in by the rental company acting on behalf of the landlord and the reason why you rented the home was to be in a certain school district for your child and you made such material fact known to the leasing agent, then you would have a factual and legal basis for terminating the lease with the landlord without recourse as to any balance of time remaining upon it.

I suggest that you further consult with a landlord tenant attorney as to how best go about terminating this lease with your landlord due to the misrepresentation of the agent regarding the school district issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption