Can I terminate my car lease early with no charge if I haven’t signed all the paperwork yet?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I terminate my car lease early with no charge if I haven’t signed all the paperwork yet?

I recently leased a car (2 weeks ago) but did not sign the lease addendum that they (at the dealership) are bothering me to sign, have not received an official registration (just a temp.) and have not received bills for the1st payment due in 2 weeks. It seems to me like everything is waiting on me signing that addendum. Is the lease official or can I still terminate without a big charge because I want to get out of it?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under General Practice, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can simply return the leased car that you have in your possession without any recourse depends upon what all documents that you have signed to date say and what the addendum that you have written about but have not signed states. As such, you need to carefully read all documents in hand signed and unsigned by you in that they set forth your contractual obligations with the car you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption