Can I terminate my lease if trustee or receiver takes possession?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I terminate my lease if trustee or receiver takes possession?

In my lease agreement under “Default” it states that I may terminate the lease if a trustee or receiver takes possession of tenants assets or interest in the lease located at the premises. Can I legally terminate the lease?

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your written lease contains an express provision within it allowing you as the tenant to terminate your lease if the property essentially is foreclosed upon (this seems to be what you are writing), then you can contractually end your lease without any recourse to the former landlord or current landlord.

Under federal 2010 law, tenants do have rights to remain in the rental post foreclosure if rent is current. The length of time to remain depends upon if the lease has a term left on it or is month-to-month.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption