Can I take someone to small claims court for not producing my wedding photos which have been paid for in full?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take someone to small claims court for not producing my wedding photos which have been paid for in full?

About 7 months ago, the photographer who we used said that our photos would be done within a few weeks. She was paid in full ahead of time because we thought that we could trust her. After a few weeks went by, I messaged her and asked if they were ready.She then told me that she would have them by the end of the week. The end of the week came but I still had not heard from her, so I gave it a couple more days and I then messaged her again. She answered me back rudely saying that he daughter sent me an email of my photos. I checked my email repeatedly and under every folder and I had not received such email. Myself, my mother and my sister have made several attempts, for the past 6 months to get my photos. However, she has not answered or has given us excuses. I still have not seen not even one professional photo that was taken.

Asked on May 31, 2019 under Business Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue her for your money back. You would sue under at least two different grounds or bases:
1) "Breach of contract": violating the agreement, whether written, oral (unwritten), or a mix of both, that she would produce photos for you in exchange for your payment. She is not entitled to keep your money without providing what she agreed to provide.
2) "Fraud": lying about what she could or would do to get you to sign up with and pay her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption