Can I take someone to court over a class that I feel was a scam?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take someone to court over a class that I feel was a scam?

The class I took I paid 2700. It was supposed
to be all day. I was there 3 hours. The teacher
rescheduled a day before and ending up
showing up 30 mins later. I was not given
adequate supplies or tools to help me grow my

Asked on July 18, 2017 under Business Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can potentially sue them for one or both of: 
1) Breach of contract: not doing what they agreed to do; and/or
2) Fraud: lying about what they could or would do to get you to sign up.
You can potentially recover the money you paid, or at least most of it (if the court feels the class still had some value, it might let them keep a portion of the money equivalent to that value). for the amount at stake, suing in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se," is a very good option. You can get instructions on doing this from the court, in person and/or online.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption