Can I take someone to court over false advertising?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take someone to court over false advertising?

Recently I just signed a new sublease on a place I’m taking over for spring semester. It was advertised by the former tenant that he would pay half of the rent for the remainder of the lease. Since I’ve signed I have yet to receive any messages, notices, calls from this guy except a text saying that he already moved. I still have a print out of the ad he posted via our campus website with his name and number, can I take him to court for half of the rent?

Asked on December 22, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written sublease for the unit you are writing about, it should state what the agreement is where half of the rent would be paid for the balance of the lease of the unit you would be occupying.

You have yet to move into the unit yet. As such, you have yet to be damaged. I would wait until you move in to see what happens about payment on the rent by the person you signed the lease with. Your obligation is to the person who you have the contract with. If he does not pay the portion of the master lease with the landlord as agreed to, it is not your concern. Your contract is with the former tenant who subleased to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption