can I take previous employer to court for not filling out paperwork so I can take out a mortgage loan?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I take previous employer to court for not filling out paperwork so I can take out a mortgage loan?

My pervious employer refuses to fill out paperwork providing information on my wages while I worked there. I have asked personally and our load agent met them personally asking. They refuse to fill out the paperwork. Without the paperwork we can not take out a mortgage loan.

Asked on October 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, an employer is not legally required to fill out paperwork for an employee's or ex-employee's loan application--they have no obligation to this. Therefore you can't force them to and can't sue them over this: you can't sue someone for not doing something they did not have to do in the first place. You will have to use documents under your control, like your paystubs and tax returns, to show your wages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption