Can I take possession of items that I purchased online and had delivered to my boyfriend and are at his house?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take possession of items that I purchased online and had delivered to my boyfriend and are at his house?

I live in georgia and I purchased equipment for my boyfriend to start a studio, with the condition that I be allowed to use it when I want and get a cut of the profits. It has been a month and he keeps finding excuses to not send me a contract stating this. I am uncomfortable with the situation. Can I get my stuff back? I bought it on amazon and had it delivered to him at an address he provided.

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Business Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, you cannot legally go to your boyfriend's residence and take items located there that you claim are yours unless permission by him is given.

I suggest that if he will not sign the document you want signed per your agreement with him by a certain date that you send him a letter demanding the return of your property by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter that you sent for future need and reference.

If you do not get the result you desire, legal action against him for the fair market value of the property would be your next option.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption