can i take over somones home with a joint ownership with right of survivorship form

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i take over somones home with a joint ownership with right of survivorship form

My elderly neighbor wants my husband and i to take over his home. He has a
mortgage on it that we are willing to pay. He said if we pay the payments left
on the mortgage the house is ours. We just need to know how to keep the house if
he passes away. do we need quit claim form and joint ownership with right of
survivorship form. Will that protect us after he passes away. We would continue
the payments until it is paid off. we just dont want to lose the house if he

Asked on March 31, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please, please, please go and seek help from an attorney in your area.  There are SOOOOO many issues lurking here it is hard to even pin all of them down.  First and foremost when he passes if there is nothing in writing regarding the law you will lose out.  Second, deeding a house with a mortgage to some one else often accelerates the mortgage and it becomes due and owing.  And third, if he has relatives that can inherit you need to worry about them setting aside any deed if it is not properly done.  Do NOT do this yourself.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption