Can I take my neighbor to court for telling another neighbor that I was the one to call animal control on them when I did not?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take my neighbor to court for telling another neighbor that I was the one to call animal control on them when I did not?

One neighbor supposedly found online that I called animal control on another neighbor when I did not. It has caused us to move from harrassment from the actual neighbor with the dogs. I would like to know what I can do or take them to court for defamation of charactor or falsifing information that is not true.

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Personal Injury, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you want to take a neighbor to court because this neighbor allegedly told another neighbor that you called animal control about a situation that resulted in some unpleasantries, that is your perogative in this country.

Unfortunately for you based upon what you have written about the situation, I do not see much liability for the claim whether the neighbor was wrong in the claim as to you or not let alone damages.

Although the fall out for the alleged improper statement caused you some distress, how is this distress calculated in terms of specific damages? Did you loose any work accounts that you can demonstrate in terms of dollars and cents, or did you just have to endure some embrassment and distress as the result?

Although what happened to you was not right, for every claim that one might have for some type of wrong, actual damages have to be demonstrated with relative certainty.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption