Can I take my H4 visa interview in my home country despite being a permanent resident of my residing country?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take my H4 visa interview in my home country despite being a permanent resident of my residing country?

Can I appear for my H4 visa interview alone in my home country considering the
below things?

1 I am permanent resident of my residing country where I have been living for 7
2 My wife got her F1 visa in my home country and now her H1B is approved but I
will be going alone for my H4 visa.
3 I have a expired L1B visa stamped in my home country but never been to US.

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Immigration Law, Oregon


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Find out the requirements at the US EMbassy/Consulate in that country for obtaining the H-4 visa.  You can be alone but there may be certain documents other than your marriage certificate and your spouse's H-1B approval notice that you may have to present.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption