Can I take my ex-husband to small claims courts for refusing to pay for something that was in the divorce agreement?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take my ex-husband to small claims courts for refusing to pay for something that was in the divorce agreement?

In the divorce he agreed to pay me $2000 in trade for the family vehicle. He had until about a month ago and has refused to pay and now refusing to take the vehicle. Would I be able to take him to small claims court to get him to pay the money?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Small claims courts probably do not have proper jurisdiction over your case. It is not a simple breach of contract case but a violation of court order and a domestic relation case. You should go back to the family court granting the divorce to enforce the court by filing a contempt motion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption