Can I take legal action against my employer for numerous paycheck issues?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take legal action against my employer for numerous paycheck issues?

I work for a somewhat small business that has over 15 stores and does business with some major companies. I have been with the company less than a year and I already had 3 bounced checks, 2 of them were in a row. Also, there was times where checks were not available the promised date, the first time was when they switched companies and there was a delay and the company ended up wore transferring me my check without my consent. The second time it happened they switched back to the old pay company and the paychecks weren’t going to be ready for 3 day, no warning of this either. And now this pass pay day, my check was not available because they

Asked on October 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is no effective or useful action you can take as long as, delays or problems aside, you have been paid or are paid all amounts due (i.e. they end up paying you, even if late). The reason is, the legal system does not provide compensation for inconvenience or punish people (or businesses) for not living up to their obligations when they first should have. Instead, the legal system provides compensation for the actual monetary or other economic losses you suffered. If you were paid everything, even if late, you suffered no losses or at most very small ones (e.g. some overdraft or bounced check fee) which would not be worth the time and cost of legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption