Can I take any legal action to have my name removed from an auto loan based on a verbal agreement?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take any legal action to have my name removed from an auto loan based on a verbal agreement?

I took my ex-fiance’s name off our house based on a good faith verbal agreement that we made to have my name removed from her auto loan. It has been 2 years now and she has not taken any action. But has successfully bought a house with her new significant other.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The problem that you have with your verbal agreement with your ex fiance' to have your name removed from the car loan for the car she has is that the lender first must agree to your name's removal. My experience is that most lenders once they have people agreeing to be obligated under a loan refuse to have names taken off the loan voluntarily.

The only way that I see your name being taken off the loan is if the loan is paid off or refinanced. You seemingly received a benefit by having her name taken off title of the home she held title with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption