Can I take action against my father for closing my custodial account and using the money for his personal gain?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take action against my father for closing my custodial account and using the money for his personal gain?

My parents created a custodial count for me when I was growing up with my father listed as the custodian. However, when he remarried, bought a new house, and went on his honeymoon my senior year in high school, he closed my custodial account. I left after my senior year due to family differences, and never once saw a penny of the over $10,000 that was supposed to be saved for my college education. This was nearly 6 years ago though, and I’m just coming to the realization that he did this illegally. Can I still take action against him? Will the brokerage company still have records to help support?

Asked on June 30, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you are claiming here is that there was a breach of fiduciary duty on the part of your Father.  You need to speak with an attorney in your area because I, too, am worried about the time frame known as a statute of limitations (although it may have been "tolled" or extended because of your age).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption