Can Isue the credit bureau to make them remove2 delinquent accounts that have aleady been proven were opened fradulently in my name?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can Isue the credit bureau to make them remove2 delinquent accounts that have aleady been proven were opened fradulently in my name?

I am 21 years old and had 2 accounts opened in my name when I was 14 that I just found out about early last year. After fighting for the whole year to prove they were not mine, the account holder confirmed it. The collection agency told me 3 times that they had reported it to the credit bureau to have the 2 accounts deleted but the credit bureau says they were never contacted. When I faxed letters from the agency stating it should be deleted, the credit bureau listed it as paid instead of deleting and won’t take it off. I just want it off. Can I sue? If not, what can I do? Before graduation I  want it gone.

Asked on January 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the credit reporting bureau has improper information about you being reported that you want removed where the account holder has informed the credit reporting bureau to have it removed, but has not, you have the option of bringing a legal action for an injunctive order to have it removed.

Before you do this, I suggest that you first consult with an attorney who practices law in the area of consumer debt relief. Possibly a written demand letter from an attorney will get the desired relief accomplished as opposed to having to file a lawsuit which can be somewhat expensive and time consuming.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption