Can I sue the at fault driver of a “hit and run” for work reimbursement?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the at fault driver of a “hit and run” for work reimbursement?

I was involved in a hit and run on my bicycle. The driver drove away and came back when the police arrived, but he wasn’t charged with a hit and run, just driving carelessly in an unregistered and unisured vehicle. My medical insurance covered the medical bills but not my several weeks of missed pay. Can I sue him for reimbursement?

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue him for any damages you suffered as a result of the hit and run accident.  Keep in mind, when you sue someone there are costs involved to you and it can be time consuming.  Someone driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle likely doesn't have a lot of cash laying around to pay out in a lawsuit.  Even if you get a judgment against the driver, it might not be easy to collect from him.  You have to weigh the pros and cons and the costs involved before proceeding with a lawsuit.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption