Can I sue someonewho had theirsonin my pre-schoolbut withdrew him without the required 30 day notice and still owes me money?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue someonewho had theirsonin my pre-schoolbut withdrew him without the required 30 day notice and still owes me money?

If so, what’s my next step?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the parent for breach of contract for withdrawing the child without giving the requisite thirty days notice.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed.  Depending on the amount you are owed, you may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  You can obtain the appropriate forms from the Small Claims Court for filing your lawsuit.  Your damages should include the amount you are owed plus court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee to have the parent served with the summons and complaint.  The complaint is your lawsuit attached to the summons.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption