CanI sue someone for giving out my phone number without permission to a third party?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI sue someone for giving out my phone number without permission to a third party?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no lawsuit for giving out a phone number UNLESS you actually had some agreement with that person (like a nondisclosure or confidentiality agreement) that they would keep your phone number confidential. If you did have such an agreement, it is possible that you might be able to sue for breach of contract--though even then, unless you have suffered some tangible injury (e.g. the number was given out to a stalker or harasser of yours, who then used it to stalk/harass you; the phone number was somehow used to steal your identify and run up charges in your name; etc.), there is nothing to sue for. That is, the law, does not allow people to recover compensation just because someone else did something wrong; instead, the law compensates for injury. So no injury--and just be annoyed or upset or having to talk to people you'd rather not talk to is *not* an injury in the eyes of the law--nothing to sue for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption