Can I sue someone for a bed that I paid for but used their good credit?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue someone for a bed that I paid for but used their good credit?

My ex and I bought a bed together while we were dating (we were never married). I was the sole income so I paid for the bed. We used her good credit in order to finance. I have paid the bed off completely, but when we broke up (well when she kicked me out) she kept the bed. I am wondering if I can sue her for the cost of the bed or to get the bed back?

Asked on June 30, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, you are legally entitled to bring a lawsuit against your "ex" with respect to the bed that you have written about. However, from what you have written, most likely you will not prevail. The rationale is that most likely the trier of fact will determine that the bed was a "gift" from you to your "ex" much like the fact that the "ex" probably gave you items as well during the period of your relationship.

Once a gift is given, it cannot be legally taken back by the person who gave the item.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption