Can I sue Rent A Center for damages caused by bed bug infested box springs?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue Rent A Center for damages caused by bed bug infested box springs?

I rented a whole house full of furniture from Rent A Center, and after a few nights of sleeping in the bed, I noticed bug bites on my arms and legs. I ended up having to go to the ER to get medications and now have scarring from the bites. I also have not been able to use my new bed in over a month. I had to buy an air mattress to sleep on for now. They will not go ahead and let the exterminators come until I agree to close the file.

Asked on June 9, 2016 under Personal Injury, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue them for for any costs you incurred (e.g. medical treatment and the air mattress; the cost for you to hire your own exterminator); possibly also for "pain and suffering" for the scarring. If they sold you an infested mattress, they would very likely be, at the least negligent, or unreasonably careless, and therefore liable. Depending on the amount you are seeking, suing in small claims court, acting as your own attorney, may be a very good choice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption