Can I sue over a verbal agreement?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue over a verbal agreement?

A boy that Ihad guardianship over needed a vehicle. So we decided to let him take over payments on one of our vehicles. The agreement was that if he made the payments on time and kept the upkeep on the vehicle then we would sign it over to him once it was paid off. After he blew the engine up and transmission in it, he stopped making the payments. We repo’d the vehicle just like a bank would. We have since got the vehicle fixed. With an additional payment and a loan payment for the vehicle it has financially hurt us. Can we sue him?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Even though as a general matter, oral (often called verbal) agreements can be enforced, there may be several difficulties in enforcing this one:

1) You call the person a "boy": if he is under the age of 18, he is still an "infant" in the eyes of the law and cannot enter into contracts. Therefore, you cannot enforce a contract against him.

2) He was paying to have use of a vehicle. If the engine blew--assuming it wasn't caused provably by his negligence or intentional bad act--an argument could be made that he was no longer liable to pay for  the vehicle; the argument would be that once he was no longer provided with a working vehicle, the agreement was breached and he was absolved of his obligation to pay. It is not certain he would make this argument, or that if he did, that he would prevail, but it is a reasonable defense that he could raise.

3) As a practical matter, if he is a "boy" he may not have the resources to pay, even if you sued and won.

And, of course, there is the trouble common to any oral agreement: proving the existence and the exact terms of the agreement, if the other party should disagree with how you characterize or describe it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption