Can I sue or seek money from a company that has been illegally using my state contractors license number?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue or seek money from a company that has been illegally using my state contractors license number?

A number of years ago I left a construction company I was working for. I held the state contractor’s license number in my name;I was the name on the license. It’s been a few years and thought the license would fall out of date. I checked and the license is still valid; it is being maintained by a company and someone I don’t know. Apparently they have been operating for at least 8 years under my license. Do I have any recourse? Can I sue for money? The type of construction is high tech and I can bet they have made lots of money with my name.

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems that you clearly have a basis to bring a lawsuit for injunctive relief to stop the person or entity from using your license number for business purposes. Possibly you can also make a valid claim for unjust enrichment if your license resulted in benefits to the person or entity that is using it.

Such a lawsuit is somewhat complicated and as such, it is recommended that you consult with a business lawyer that has some familiarity regarding such a potential lawsuit to see what the costs would be and the chances of success.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption