Can I sue my Vet in CA for malpractice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my Vet in CA for malpractice?

My dog had chronic bronchitis and whenever
he had bad flare ups he would go in for
bronchialdialator, steroid and antibiotic and he
would be fine. This time there was a different
veterinarian as my normal one was gone for
the day. She gave my dogs a bunch of different
drugs that I later googled that did nothing for
his bronchitis. He died within hours after being
sent home in front of me. His bronchitis was
not severe and caused by allergies. This vet
killed my dog

Asked on February 2, 2019 under Malpractice Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Medical malpractice is negligence. Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a vet in the community would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm). Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be for the loss of your dog.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption