CanI sue my sister-in-law for items damaged by her children?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI sue my sister-in-law for items damaged by her children?

When my sister-in-law comes to my house she does not control her children. They took a knife to an $800 leather couch that I just bought. Additionally, and without asking, she put the kids in my new born baby’s room to play where they broke my $450 crib. When I ask her to pay for the items she just laughs and says she doesn’t work. Her husband works but he refuses to pay saying all kids act that way.

Asked on January 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

OF COURSE you may sue someone for damage caused by her children, especially due to her failure to control them. Her husband may feel that all kids act that way, but legally, his opinion does not have a leg to stand on; parents have an obligation to control their children and to prevent them from causing injury, property damage, economic loss, etc. So you may indeed sue your sister in law and her family for the losses or damages they have caused your family. Small claims court would be the proper venue for this.

On a non-legal note: if the children play with knives and will break a baby's crib, consider whether you should have them over with your baby; they could do more harm than property damage, especially if you do sue and they then suffer any repurcussions from their family, causing resentment of your family.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption