Can I sue my condo association or security for 2 motorcycles of mine that were stolen?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my condo association or security for 2 motorcycles of mine that were stolen?

During their hours of operation, mine and a friend’s motorcycles were stolen. No one saw anything, however the security guard post is at the only entrance and exit and the cameras weren’t operational.

Asked on October 20, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, your condo association is not your insurer: they do not pay you for any losses occuring on their propertly. To hold them liable, you would have to show they were at fault--that something they did caused or materially contributed to the theft. To do that, you have to know how the theft happened: with no knowledge of how the theft occured, there would be no way to prove your case and prove that they (or their security company, if separate from them) were at fault, because you can't show that their acts, behavior, etc. caused or led to the loss. The fact that the motorcycles were stolen from their lot does not, by itself, prove or establish fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption