Can I sue my previous employer?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my previous employer?

Im an educator. Preschools in NYC are
operated under the guidelines of the Dept. of
Health and someone with a valid teaching
certification has to be employed at the school in
order for the site to stay permitted. I left that job
3 months ago and I was recently informed that
they are still using my credentials to stay in
operation. What can I do?

Asked on October 12, 2019 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) While you can in theory sue, in a lawsuit, you can only recover compensation for losses or harm you can prove you suffered or for some provable value or benefit of which you were deprived. Therefore, it may well be that suing will not get you anything (though you can stop them from doing this; see below) unless there is some loss you suffered, or objective and recognized monetary value you put on this and demonstrate in court.
2) In addition to monetary compensation (which, as discussed, may be limited in this case), you can also sue for a court order ("injunction") barring someone from doing something they are not permitted to do. So you do have the option of trying to prevent or stop this.
3) You can contact the NYS agency or board which licenses pre-schools (the Board of HEalth) and inform them of the fact that they not using the credentials of someone employed with them; the agency may then take actions to stop them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption