Can I sue my previous employer for slander?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my previous employer for slander?

My husband and I stopped working at a company several months ago. In the time since the company got robbed. My husband is currently working at the town gas station and current and ex employees have come in on several occasions asking how we did it. We we’re informed by them that the managers have told the staff to avoid us not speak with us and that they are sure we robbed old friends won’t speak to me anymore. People are convinced we committed this crime. We have good reputations here and this is causing a lot of issues. I’m 8 months pregnant and this is stressful.

Asked on December 1, 2016 under Personal Injury, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You and your husband can sue your former employer for defamation.  Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third person and the statement is injurious to your reputation.
If the defamatory statement is oral, it is slander.
If the defamatory statement is written, it is libel.
Every repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.
Your damages (monetary compensation in a lawsuit for defamation) would include emotional distress, loss of friends or associates, physical illness (if applicable).
You can also seek punitive damages (a substantial amount) to punish the intentional wrongful act of your former employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption