Can I sue my new landlord for 5300 ER bill in Az

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my new landlord for 5300 ER bill in Az

Under my old leases I was able to pay rent on 3rd of monththat’s when I get SS check. On feb 2 there was notice about violating my lease wanting 25 late fee plus. Over weekend I’m being more stressed as I don’t have any extra money and cant pay.End up with chest pressure all day Sunday go to ER. It was stress but Dr said because of other health problems I should have come in high risk for heart attack stroke. The next week Mgr says its, notice, isn’t real the new owner dosent charge late fees until 6th. I don’t know what the point of this was. Hope my insurance pays bill

Asked on February 28, 2018 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot sue for this. The causal link is far too weak and attenuated--even if you were "stressed" by this notice, that's not why you had chest pressure or pain; rather that was because of you "other health problems" and that you are "high risk for heart attack [and] stroke." Your landlord is not responsible for your health issues. Furthermore, it is not reasonably (logically) foreseeable that a notice like you describe would cause heart problems, since millions and millions of people get various notices from landlords monthly without them causing health issues, so chest pressure is not a logical or foreseeable consequence of such a notice--but only foreseeable consequences can lead to liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption