Can I sue my mother for taking money from me when I was a minor as a beneficiary of life insurance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my mother for taking money from me when I was a minor as a beneficiary of life insurance?

My uncle died when I wad 6 and he named
me the beneficiary of his life
insurance. I found this out 24 years
later when my mother told my brother
that she had my money but didn’t want to
pay because she didn’t think I was
responsible. I called her out on it and
now she is saying the money is gone. I
lost all those years of when that money
should have been in an account
collecting interest.

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Ok so if the money was left to you when you were a minor, the court had to appoint a conservator for you in order for the insurance company to dispurse the funds.  This is not something to be taken lightly.  Your Mother had to  go to court and is required to file an accounting every year.  So I would start at the courthouse. See if there is anything filed in Probate Court for you, maybe as even part of the original probate.  Your Mother may have even been required to post a bond.  Once you have the information then seel legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption