Can I sue my landlord for dirty carpet in my apartment which caused health problems to my family?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my landlord for dirty carpet in my apartment which caused health problems to my family?

I have a letter from the doctor stating that my kids’ skin was effected by the carpet.

Asked on October 23, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Most likely not: the landlord is not generally obligated to clean your apartment, unless the lease states they provide cleaning services. In addition, there is a legal doctine called "mitigation of damages," which requires you to do what you reasonably can to reduce your injuries or losses, and cleaning the carpet (e.g. you could vacuum, then shampoo it yourself; or hire a carpet cleaning service, like Stanley Steemer) is a reasonable thing you would be expected to try to reduce or eliminate the problem. For these reasons, you are unlikely to win if you were to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption