Can I sue my landlord because I was a livein manager for her and didnt lie to get two tenats evicted so nowshe wants me out.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my landlord because I was a livein manager for her and didnt lie to get two tenats evicted so nowshe wants me out.

I wouldn’t go to court and lie to have two tenants evicted so now she said she wants me out. Not to mention Ive put over 8000 of my own money into the up keep of the property since being here.

Asked on September 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue for this reason.
1) If you don't have a written employment contract, you can be terminated--and therefore lose the apartment--for any reason whatsoever, at anytime, because without a contract, you are an "employee at will." The employer/landlord can just decide to fire you because they no longer want you, and that is their right.
2) Putting your own money into an apartment or property doesn't give you any rights to it or to reimbursement/compensation unless--and only if--there was a contract for you to do this in exchange for getting something, and the landlord breached or violated the contract. If that were the case, however, you could sue the landlord for breach of contract, to enforce its terms in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption