Can I sue my landlady for negligence?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my landlady for negligence?

I’ve lived in the home for 5 years and have contacted her for quite a few needed repairs she has yet to make. Examples: 1. Additional room at end of house was destroyed by a tree prior to my moving in 5 years ago, finally last year I tore the room off due to safety reasons (broken glass hanging from windows, etc). 2. Sewage coming from the ground on neighboring property belonging to same landlady, I reported it 6 months ago and she has yet to even look at it. 3. Back wall to house can be moved easily just by shutting the back door. I reported it 2 years ago, no response. Many, many more examples to go.

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country the owner of real property who rents it out to a tenant is obligated to provide safe and habitable conditions for his or her tenants. From what you have written, the conditions of the rental that you occupy are and have been in poor shape.

Since the landlord has been unresponsive in rectifying the problems that you have with the unit, you should consider the following:

1. contact your local health and safety department and request an inspection of your rental. If it gets cited, your landlord will have to rectify the problems shortly;

2. contact your local building and permit department and request an inspection of your rental. If its gets cited, your landlord will be required to make the repairs needed.

From what you have written, you have a factual basis for bringing a lawsuit against your landlord for poor housing conditions where your damages would be a rebate of monies paid over the occupancy of the unit when the conditions were poor.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption