Can I sue my ex-employer for not providing my landlord with an employment verification which has resulted in my paying higher rent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my ex-employer for not providing my landlord with an employment verification which has resulted in my paying higher rent?

For the past 2 months, I have been trying to get my former employer to provide my office building with an employment verification form stating my last day of employment so that my rent will be lowered. I have tried calling them multiple times, faxing the form to them multiple times, and even going to see them in person to, all no avail. They always have an excuse, or say they will do it that day but it never gets done. Last month because of their stall tactics I had to pay a full month’a rent, and I had to do the same again in February. I work part-time at my current job and can’t afford to keep paying rent as if I were still working for my former employer, which I have told them repeatedly. I want to know if I can sue them to either force them to release the information they were supposed to 2 months ago, or to make them pay me the difference in what my rent should have been versus what I paid because of their


Asked on February 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, your former employer is under no legal obligation to confirm your past employment. That is unless it is required to do so under the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, your treatment must not constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination. Otherwise, I am afraid that you are out of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption